Jaclyn Plona Salkauski, Ph.D.
Dr. Jaclyn Plona Salkauski was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio. She earned a Bachelor's in Multi-Level Education and Spanish from Baldwin-Wallace University. She continued to earn an M.A. in Spanish from Cleveland State University focusing on Afro-Caribbean studies and Spanish. Dr. Plona Salkauski has lived and studied abroad in Mexico, Puerto Rico, Costa Rica, and the Dominican Republic. She also served for multiple years as a newspaper editor, gained expertise in educational technology, and worked with a taskforce on organizing delegations in Central America. Dr. Plona Salkauski honed her language skills at the prestigious Middlebury College Language School in Vermont.
Dr. Plona Salkauski earned a doctorate in Spanish, with a focus on comparative literature from the Florida State University. Her particular expertise is in Pan-Caribbean literature, analyzing gender and race-driven marginalization in the Hispanophone, Francophone, and Anglophone Caribbean. Her pan-Caribbean analysis of this type of social marginalization was among the first of its kind.
Her additional qualifications include:
- More than a decade of professional tutoring experience
- Experience in developing and leading workshops on Instructional Excellence.
- Serves on the editorial review board for 3 peer-reviewed journals
- Invited Presenter at national and international conferences
- More than 16 years of teaching experience at the secondary and University levels
- Is well-published in peer-reviewed journals and books
- Expertise in cultural studies
- Expertise in diversity, including race, gender & ethnicity
- Has a strong background in U.S. Latino identity studies
- Expertise in Language Program design and coordination
- Training and expertise in testing and assessment
- Background in educational and professional mentorship
- Experience in translation and interpretation
- Experience in medical and professional Spanish
- Experience in Critical Literary Theory, Queer Theory, and Trans-Atlantic studies
- Has taught courses in Spanish language, intense Spanish, Spanish culture and civilization; Spanish composition, Advanced composition; conversation and grammar; reading comprehension; Hispanic literature; Hispanic film